Pontiac Forum - Pontiac Discussion Forums

Pontiac Forum - Pontiac Discussion Forums (https://www.pontiactalk.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://www.pontiactalk.com/forum/general-tech-11/)
-   -   2000 sunfire rear brakes locking up when brakes applied (https://www.pontiactalk.com/forum/general-tech-11/2000-sunfire-rear-brakes-locking-up-when-brakes-applied-148/)

pontiac35hp 02-11-2006 08:30 PM

2000 sunfire rear brakes locking up when brakes applied

i have a 2000 pontiac sunfire replaced rear drum brakes 6 months ago been running them w no problem. today i replaced front brakes and rotors, heres my problem when i backed out of garage and started forward and applied brakes car squats down in rear and rear wheels lock up ! locks up as if emergency brake is on,i have to back up to unlock them then when i go forward and apply brakes same thing.can anyone help me tonite(sat nite)i need this car on road by mon morning. ive been working on it all day and im at whits end. please help!!!!

Patrick 02-15-2006 01:25 PM

RE: 2000 sunfire rear brakes locking up when brakes applied

are you certain that everything in the rear is assembled properly?

pontiac35hp 02-16-2006 07:19 PM

yes went back and checked everything front and rear.didnt touch a thing and put wheels back on and drove and problem gone been driving all week w no problem.this is my daughters car and i would like to know what caused this before i swap back w her, any ideas ?

nj85z28 02-20-2006 11:58 PM

on my GTP, the pads had to "seat"...so it felt like i had no brakes for a while...possibly this is something similar

ELLAS_Racing 03-22-2006 03:36 PM

Had the same problem on my 97 Grand Am. Except my brakes would "unlock" when I let go of the brakes. Problem went away after we changed the brakes AND the discs last October.

smartasguy_68 04-24-2006 09:25 PM

check the adjust ment on the rears sometimes when they are adjusted too much they will grab and squat the rear..also check and see if there is any fluid on the shoes or drum surface its possible the wheel cyl. are leaking and brake fluid is getting on them.

GMtechMike 06-18-2011 01:42 AM

2000 sunfire right rear brake locking up once brakes get warm. Started when rear brakes were replaced, checked rear brakes for proper install and had others check work. All good and in working order, wheel cylinders NOT leaking, backing plates NOT grooved and lubed. Checked adjusters, backed all the way off (worse when adjusted). Swapped proportioning valves from side to side and performed brake flush with scan tool, turned drums when away for a few days, but is back. Disabling ABS does not affect. Can you help me or got any ideas?