Pontiac Forum - Pontiac Discussion Forums

Pontiac Forum - Pontiac Discussion Forums (https://www.pontiactalk.com/forum/)
-   G6 2004-2009 (https://www.pontiactalk.com/forum/g6-2004-2009-15/)
-   -   Steering Problems (https://www.pontiactalk.com/forum/g6-2004-2009-15/steering-problems-528/)

orangeg6 12-12-2006 11:19 AM

Steering Problems

Has anyone else had steering problems with there G6?
i have, i have went to the dealer and they say the allinement is good but i need tires.
so i bought new tires and had the allinement checked again still they say its fine.
but it still pulls to the left. so i take it to another shop and they say the allinement is good.
but it might be the steering colume itself. they said these cars have a laser steering colume in them and that is something the dealer has to replace. is this true? if so why didn't the dealer tell me this?
any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Tony

roblaw5 03-20-2007 12:13 AM

RE: Steering Problems

Took my to the dealer over 6 times with poping noise in stering and the finialy replaced the rack an pinion which solved the problem of the poping

Merk 06-19-2007 08:46 PM

My Daughter's 2006 G6 is having a steering faultcode show up on her radio. The steering is electronicly assisted-not the good old power steering we had for years. The dealer says the electric motor that powers the steering, part of the steering colunm, andpart of the wire harness needs replaced.The dealer said it will cost around $900 to do the job. The car was new November of 2005 and now has 45000 miles on it. 98% of the miles are highway miles.

Any suggestions on what to do.

Squeekykleen 10-30-2007 03:09 PM

I have an 06 that pulls to the right, they say the alignment is ok. I drives me flippin crazy on the freeway though.[:@]

jvmcs 11-15-2007 05:41 PM

RE: Steering Rack Problems

I have a 2006 G6 and had the steering rack replace once when it was still under warranty and then the bolts came loose almost exactly6 months later so they (the dealer)tighten the bolts and I had to pay for it. And now it's popping again 5 months later. I know it'sthe same steering rack or column problem and Iknow that can'tbe normal. I need some advice....what canI do,other than pay another mechanic to tighten the bolts yet again...[:@]

DaddyEarwig 09-01-2008 11:11 PM

RE: Steering Rack Problems

I hope you didn't have to pay someone to fix it, I'm sure you could've raised enough hell at the dealership to fix it. The parts weren't under warranty? They can't guarantee their labor for more than six months? Instead of having a mechanic repair it, find one that'll show you and do it yourself, if possible.

I'm afraid I'm going to be in the same boat. My steering "knock" was said to be fixed by inserting lube in the steering shaft. I wonder how long that'll work. Probably just long enough for the car to fall out of warranty.