2nd Generation 1970-1981 This section is for info pertaining to 1970 to 1981 Firebirds.

1976 t/a power door locks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 10:11 AM
Default 1976 t/a power door locks

I was wondering if anybody was familiar with the wiring for power door locks or could share some advise. I don't think this car had power door locks to begin with, but I had a couple of GM actuators and I see there are the original "dash toggle switches" now available so I purchased one. This, switch, of course, sits next to the rear window defog switch and kind of finishes the small panel. I installed both actuators and tested them (they each have 2 wires) by touching the leads to the +/- sides of the battery and they did indeed work fine. I ran the two wire leads of each of the actuators through the door jamb and had them meet at the switch area. I hooked a constant power wire from the cigar lighter to the middle post on the switch and and tried several different ways to hook up the 4 actuator wires but have had no luck. After a frustrating day of failure I thought I would look into the dash cavity behind and beside the r defogger switch and much to my surprise there was a 3 prong connector so I plugged in the switch. I also located, just left of the steering wheel near the main fuse block an "L" shaped plug-in receptacle with a dark green and black wire. When I test the switch one way, power goes to one of the leads on this particular plug-in receptacle. I assume, likely incorrectly, this is where the originally equipped drivers side door lock wires would have plugged in after coming through the door jamb. Problem is I cant find the same receptacle on the passenger sine of the dash behind the glove box. So, as hard as this is for me, I'm one of those guys that will drive around lost for hours before I stop and ask for directions, here I am a week into this and I am asking for some HELP.