3rd Generation 1982-1992 This section is for info pertaining to 1982 to 1992 Firebirds.

6cyl engine stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Default 6cyl engine stalling problem

First and foremost, I have a 1990 Pontiac Firebird 6cyl 3.1 MPFI Vin “T”
The story:[/b]
I drove my car to an interior upholster place, we talked, I went to leave and started my car and it ran for about 10 seconds then stalled. I did it again…stalled. Again. Same. I tried it one more time and it wouldn’t start at all, just turned over and over. No matter what you did...rev engine it would still stall. The engine smelt like fuel, like it was flooding the engine. Made sense, because you leave it set for a while it’ll start up again and stall. Right?

The troubleshooting: [/b]
The first thing I did was check the diagnostic codes….no codes just normal operation. When I towed it home, initially I thought it was a fuel issue.I replaced the fuel filter and blew out the return line with an air chuck. Same problem. I then tested my ignition system. I even replaced the ignition coil and spark plugs. The spark plugs were covered in black soot (carbon). The spark plug wires ohm test was good. I also checked the distributor cap for corrosion. Engine idles perfect. Timing is good. I couldn’t figure it out. I read online it might be my fuel pressure regulator…so I replaced that as well. It still stalled. I was going through my Chiltons book and found that my car has an oil pressure sensor that if not detecting oil pressure it would shut of my fuel. I check the sensor and noticed it was leaking at the wire harness. Even though you could hear the fuel pump turn on, I decided to replace the oil pressure sensor and blew out the oil in the wire harness and tested the wires. Everything tested fine. Sensor was working properly. The car still stalled. Then a friend told me it could be my O2 sensor or fuel pump and I need to test the fuel pressure. I replace the 02 sensor andran the engine. Nope not it. I bought a fuel tester. The tester was reading 40psi (needs to be within 37 to 45 psi) when ignition is turn in the on position and during startup. Perfect. It never goes down. I don’t know where to look….

Troubleshooting summary:[/b]
No codes
Engine Idle good
O2 sensor replaced
Fuel filter replaced
Fuel Pressure Regulator replaced
Oil Pressure Sensor replaced
Spark Plugs replaced
Ignition Coil replaced
Fuel pump pressure 40psi

Engines flooding, spark is good, fuel pump seems fine. What else could it be? Bad fuel? Injectors? ECM?

Please help!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Default RE: 6cyl engine stalling problem

I have the same car, same problem! Had it for about two years now and it just started this winter. I brought it in and they went over everything and after three weeks they finally got it to "work". I use quotes becuase after threeweeks it just died again but only twice but I'm afraid it is going to persist. What we found out is that the distributors in these cars tend to crack and will not supply efficent spark to keep the car running. I am taking it back in monday so I will keep you posted but I would start there and see if it works. Good luck, to both of us!!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 AM

Damn that sucks. Please let me know what the results are. I just bought a injector test light kit. I was going to test my injectors. If it is the distributors, is it the coil inside? where would the crack be? what should I look for? Thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 01:51 AM

thats wierd its not throwing any codes, check your injectors to see if they are clogged or dirty, then check your ECM.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:18 PM

i just tested the electical signal tocylinder 1 and 6injectors with my test kit (i couldn't get to the others without removing the intake plenum).the signal seems fine. they pulsated rapidly. I figured the rest of the injectors would work the same. If my injectors were clogged...why would it stall by flooding? How would i test my ECM?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 PM

the car is running! can you guess what I replaced to fix it? the ignition module! Man I feel like a dumb ***. The ignition module is located in the distributor. It controlled the timing sequence of the fuel injection to spark

The story:
I went to Advanced Auto Parts to price injectorsbut the they had none on stock. the guy asked me why I wanted injectors so I told hin the story. He immeiately start rattling off questions and thing to check. The secone one was the ignition module. He told me to bring it in and get it tested. I failed every test! I replaced and BAM. my baby runs like a champ!

Thanks for trying to help me out. I hope things go well with yours.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:01 PM

I hope that works out for you! I jus got mine back from the diagnosticandthey said itwas the injectors that are starting to fail,so I would say be cautious for a bit because mine ran perfect for about four weeks and then it started stalling again. I'm replacing them next week I will report then