DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

04 Grand Prix GT transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Default 04 Grand Prix GT transmission fluid change

Hi. I know this is probably a very dumb question but I'll ask anyway. I just got a jack & stands & am trying to do some basic maintenance. I'd like to drain & refill my automatic transmission fluid. Can somebody tell me where to find the plug, and if there's anything special I might need to know, (other than drain it & refill it from the dipstick)? Thanks!!!

RM

Old 05-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Full Access Member
Default RE: 04 Grand Prix GT transmission fluid change

there is not a plug - you have to remove the transmission pan and replace the gasket and filter after it drains - its not hard but messy as it leaks out all the way around after you remove the pan bolts. make sure you know which is the transmission pan. the parts stores have the kit and can tell you how many pints of fluid you will need. trick is not to over tighten them and snug them all first, then hand tighten until you see the gasket squeeze slightly.use a criss cross pattern.
good luck - there are directions in the kit

Old 05-24-2008, 01:42 PM

Great, thank you jerryh20!!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 AM

JerryH2O -

Could you give me some insight where the tranny pan is? I am going to try that first on mine. I posted in the Grand Prix section about some tranny problems including shuttering, loss of power, jerking in shifting, etc.... Do you think needed a tranny oil change would cause that.. ? I am not familiar with Pontiac or Grand Prix's...

Old 09-27-2010, 02:55 AM

Changing the fluid has always been the mezzy part of any car owner, but removing the whole pan is totally unnecessary if you are doing a fluid change. I think you can just removed the pan if you want to change the filter - this maybe a daunting job for anyone but sometimes it helps when you want to see if the engine is working perfectly. I think there is a magnet that attached to the pan where the metal fillings stick but if you are getting a lot of metal filling from the engine or tranny I guest you need some extensive maintenance work.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 PM

I just changed fluid on my tranny, I didnt flush it, I just dropped the pan and changed the filter. I didnt need a new gasket since mine was reusable. You just take about half the bolts out and let most of the fluid drop out and then take the rest of them off, take the filter out (if ur changing it) and if u get a new filter it should come with a new sleeve that the filter plugs into and clean the pan and the magnet on it and the gasket. And like they said before go in a hex pattern to take off and put on the bolts. I added about six quarts and then I started it held the brake and went through every gear. just keep cheching the fluid level till its good on the dipstick and once its good drive it for a couple of minutes and check it again. I used a total of about seven quarts since I didnt flush it. Make sure to use Dexron 3 or Mercon V and check the tranny pan for leaks and the dipstick levels for a week or so after. Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 AM

I don’t think so and by the time they send you another one your kitchen fitter will have finished fitting your kitchen and will no doubt want extra money to come back. So the money that you saved in the first place will be spent. At least with a local company you will be able to just go and collect your missing items immediately. Also should we not all be thinking about supporting our local tradesmen. Even if you’re not going to support your local businesses then perhaps you should look at national companies that have stores in your area like Band Q or Magnet or even Howdens.