90 grand am stalls

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Default 90 grand am stalls

[hr]

I have a 90 grand am with 219,000 miles on it. 2.5L throttle body injected. I've done a lot to keep this junker of a car on the road but don't think you all need to read about that. Don't believe it has anything to do with this issue.

Recently the car started acting up. I would be driving it and it would jerk hard, kinda stall for a brief second and then go on like nothing happened. Now it is doing it more frequently. This time it would jerk hard then nothing, about a minute later it would start to stall, I could give it gas and it would rev up and smoke came out the tail pipe until it smoothed out, then it would act ok for sec and then it would act like it had no throttle and then stall. I could start it back up, drive for about 20' and then it would stall agian. Then it would just crank and crank. If I let it sit for about 10 min it would start up and go but only for about 1/2 a mile then start all over agian.
This morning it did this and I left it to sit for about 3 hours, fix'd the pcv valve and it started up. I drove it to work let it sit for another 4 hours did fine for about 4 miles and it started all over agian.

I've never changed the timing belt and will drive it to the salvage yard before doing that. I had the crank sensor replaced about 50,000 miles ago. at the same time another sensor was replaced that controled the idle, something about a cold weather sensor. It made the car rev really high for no reason. It has a newer fuel pump on it. I've put about 100,000 miles on the fuel filter.
Before all this the check engine light came on and it was for the EGR valve, this was over 80,000 miles ago. Never replaced it.

What do you think would be causing this?[/align]

Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Default RE: 90 grand am stalls

I took the Ignition module and the coil pack to Advanced auto and had them tested. Everything was with specs and working so all I did was clean everything really good and put it back together and itwas working fine. [/align]
I drove the car yesterday for about 15 mi and no problems. I got up this morning and barely went 4mi and it acted up agian. I got off work and it started up and I drove it almost 4mi and it stalled out. I will need to change the fuel filter but this shouldn't stop the car from starting. It acts like either the fuel shuts off or it looses spark. If it sits for a while it will run but just for a little bit. Less than a year ago [/align][/align]

Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Default RE: 90 grand am stalls

I got to see a few things after it stalls. I noticed that the injectors are not spraying and I am not getting any spark.