battery or alt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Default battery or alt?

Recently my gf's car has been acting up and dying. At first the battery light came on a couple days ago, then the abs light would flash every now and then. Now the car is dead and will not start or even chug. I can jump start it but it dies within a minute or two. What's strange is that when i jump start it, ALL the lights would go out in about a minute but the car still runs for another minute or two then shuts off. No lights or anything works after it shuts down. Does this sound like a bad battery or alternator? I thought it was the battery because it continues to run after all the lights die out so that means the alternator is keeping it alive for a short time. OR if it should continue running even with a dead battery, the alt is bad?

thanks for any help!

chris

Old 10-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Default RE: battery or alt?

i would say its the alternator, anytime the battery light comes on the dash it means to check the alternator or charging system, that battery light has nothing to do with the battery, its telling you to check the charging system, so i would check the alternator, if theirs an autozone anywhere around you they will check it for you, if you can get the car up there they will test everything, if you cant, you can take the alternator out of her car and take it up there as well, they have a machine that test alternators and starters right there in the store, hope this helps, good luck!!