General Muscle Car Tech Pontiac was given credit with beginning the Muscle Car Era with the GTO, Have a vintage Pontiac muscle car, tell us about it, or ask any questions in here!

Tempest Info Does It Exist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Default Tempest Info Does It Exist?

My Question seems Simple But Apparently it is not. I recently purchased a 1970 Pontiac Tempest. This car is very Clean and Straight no Bondo, Chrome Nice etc. My question is Where Can I get Production Info on this vehicle. I can look up the GTO and find how many of each model were made and how many came with certain featurs but there is no Info I can find like this for the Tempest. Somwhere they must have recorded how many Tempests were made, how many were painted each color, how many had each of teh different motor options, and other features. I found this for a corvette I wanted to check on too and it even broke it down to the point of Aspecific vette with certain specific feature combinations and colors resulted in there only being 3 of them buit that way. I just wanted to find out as much as I can about the car. It is at such a good starting point that I am trying to determine what I am going to do. Keep it a Tempest or make it a GTO Clone. I dont know the value difference betwwen the two in comparable condition but I do know I see more GTO's on the Road then Tempests and I have to assume based on the production information that I have found that a lot of them are clones. After decoding my VIN # at a GTO Site I know this. My car is production # 43148 of however many they made and that they made over 100,000. and I know that the GTO Production numbers are as follows:

Total

Code

Body

Sub-Total

2-door Hardtop

see some

Convertible

see some

Judge Hardtop

see some

Judge Convertible

see some

So Im Thinking if the Tempest has always been the black sheep that a lot more of them may have been lost to crushers and "It aint worth fixing" People than the GTO and I know some features that the vehicle may have can really set a car apart as far as limited production quantity. The Vette I mentioned Earlier had 2 differnt size gas tank options and only 3 were ever made with the larger tank in 67 so that made the owners of those vettes the owners of a very rare car, and sadly they probably dont know it. Any info or sites you may have regarding this would be great. I just want to weigh all my options. Its going to be a daily driver either way, but I would like to do whatever will make worth more in the future.
Thanks