General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 Pontiac 6000

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Default 89 Pontiac 6000

Yeah, I have an old Pontiac. It's been an awesome car through the years. But it does have a handfull ofidiosyncracies. My goalhas beentoget it to 2009.

Driving home tonight, the car stalled out at just about every red light (totally uncharacteristic of what's been a reliable car). I know that there is a problem with the oxygen sensor, and there is a plug that I keep unplugged, which keeps the engine from surging.

This new problem tonight is the following:

As the car came to a stop, the idle was running high, then low, then high, then low.... then it would stall. The check engine light has been coming on. The car was recently tuned up, has a brand new battery, relatively new alternator... I'm worried that it's some computer malfunction or something that would be costly, and not on the table for repairs.

My main question is, would it be possible for me to raise the idle? Never done this before to a car without a carberator. Frankly, I don't know what's entailed.

I'm looking for a quick fix, that might work. Any feedback will be really appreciated.