General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Hijinks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Default Engine Hijinks!

Hello, all. I've got a 95 Bonneville SE ("Phyllis," when nobody's listening), but we've got some mounting engine troubles. The engine idles extremelyroughly when stationary, and has a very hard time accelerating. I'll hit the gas normally for a couple of seconds, then the acceleration stops and the whole car shimmies wildly (ever see Star Trek Generations? Yeah, that bad). I just took her in about a month ago for a similar situation (engine misfiring during light acceleration), and they replaced the spark plugs. The problem was solved for about a week, but gradually returned and became this monster. Any ideas?

Old 02-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Engine Hijinks!

hows your catalytic converter?

Old 02-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Default RE: Engine Hijinks!

I had to google catalytic converter to find out what it is. I'm not sure how it's doing, but I have been having fume problems in the car recently. Sometimes they smell similarto a magic marker, others they smell like gasoline. They are sporadic, though, not happening all the time. Usually I just smell them when the heater is on (the AC has been out since July). Though sporadic, they have lately been increasing in severity.