General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Default No Spark

1996 Pontiac Grand Prix, V-6, 3.4 liter, equipped with all power options and ignition key is one with chip on key itself.

Trouble started under normal driving conditions. Was driving car on highway at approximately 60 mph when it cut out. Restarted with no problem. Over the next couple days the problem became more persistent, until finally it refused to restart. Upon initial inspection all wires were connected and tight. There was no apparent signs of electrical failure. No engine codes were revealed when checked with OBD II tester. All fuses were good, to include the fuse box located on the passenger side of dash, fuse box located under hood on passenger side, and fuse box located under hood on driver side. The Haynes repair manual states that the ignition control module, located under the 3 coil packs receives electrical pulses from both crankshaft position sensors (3x Hall Effect and 24x Hall Effect) and the camshaft position sensor (7x Hall Effect). So far I have performed a primary and secondary check of all three coil packs ( all tested within manufacturers parameters), tested the ignition control module on a Wells tester (tested within manufacturers parameters), replaced the 3x Hall Effect crankshaft sensor, rechecked all fuses related to the ignition system, and replaced the PCM / ECM. The new PCM / ECM was programmed according to the VIN I provided them from my car and I installed the orginal knock sensor chip as instructed. I performed multimeter tests to ensure I have power to the cam shaft sensor, which produced approximately 10.86 volts DC. I also performed a continuity test along the red wire with white stripe at the camshaft position sensor to the red wire with white stripe in the 5 wire connector at the ignition control module, which revealed good continuity. When I performed a voltage test on the same wire at the ignition control module there was no voltage. I am assuming that this wire must receive voltage from the ingition cylinder when in the KEY ON position, which was not the case when I tested it, yet the camshaft sensor is receiving voltage in the KEY ON position. At this point the only items left to replace would be the crankshaft sensor (24x Hall Effect) located behind the crankshaft balancer, the camshaft sensor (7x Hall Effect) and the ignition cylinder on the steering column. In reading a previous post regarding another pontiac with a starting issue I will also check to see if there is a ground wire or ground strap for the ignition control module. Any assitance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would ask that if you post a reply here that you also e-mail me at baja4autism@aol.com or call me directly at 716-812-9165. I am in the EST time zone. Thank you in advance.

Questions:

1. Haynes manual states that a special tool is needed to replace ignition cylinder on a tilt steering wheel column. Is this the case? Can this tool be fabricated or purchased from the dealer?

2. Does the PCM / ECM reset if both battery cables are disconnected, if so how long must they be disconnected?

3. Is this car equipped with an inertia cutoff switch? If so, where would it be located?

4. Is this car equipped with special security features that need to be bypassed due to PCM / ECM replacement?

5. Is there a commercially available scanner other than an OBD II to test the functionality of the PCM / ECM? If so, who is the manufacturer and part / model number?

6. Does anyone have a detailed wiring schematic for this vehicle? If so, can it be sent by e-mail attachment?

7. Is there anything that may have been overlooked in the ignition or electrical system?

8. If battery is yielding below 12 volts DC could this have an effect? Should 10.86 volts DC be enough to receive sufficient test results?

Respectfully Submitted,

Brian Calliari