Grand Am This long running model has seen many transformations, and has always remained a popular economical vehicle.

2000 Grand Am SE no start please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Default 2000 Grand Am SE no start please HELP

I would really like some help.

I have a 2000 Grand AM SE V6 motor is a 3.0.

About two weeks ago when I would try to start my car it would roll over and try and start but it would not start and then after a couple of tries the car would start. The car was rolling over without any problems. I drove the car yesterday to my kids school and when I came out and tried to start it the car rolls over no problem but it does not start.

The things that I have done:

I put conditioner in the car to make sure that there was no moister in the gas.

I checked the battery and it is good I switched it with another battery from my other car and it still did nothing.

I reset the security system by putting the car in the on position 1 time every 10 minutes for and half hour and still it does not start.

I check to make sure that there was gas going to the motor by hitting the nozzle and it squirted out no problem.

I checked the spark plugs they are good but dry.

Now I am totally lost as to what to try next it is so close to exmas that I can not really afford to take it to a garage so any helpful idea’s would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Default RE: 2000 Grand Am SE no start please HELP

I had the same problem with my 03 grand am. it was the fuel pump.

The way to tell for sure is to have someone hit the tank as ahrd as they can while you are trying to start it. the bump will rattle the fuel pump and get the car to start.

It wont fix the problme but it will let you diagnose it.

if it starts while bumping the tank, its the fuel pump.

not to hard to reaplce, just drop the tank, and the old one clips out and new one clips in. then reaplce the tank.

I got a used one for 75$ but new one run about 500$

Old 10-15-2009, 04:32 AM

i encountered same problem with my 01 Grand Am, the only thing that i did was check my injector fuses then i search for wiring diagram compatible with grand am, i also did pin point checks and finally i used spark checking tool similar to a spark plug..

Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 PM

An easier way to check and see if your fuel pump is working is to go under the car and have someone else turn the key and you should hear the fuel pump kick on. and if you don't then yeah its the fuel pump.