Grand Am This long running model has seen many transformations, and has always remained a popular economical vehicle.

Headlight focus 2001 Gran Am

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 11:16 AM
Default Headlight focus 2001 Gran Am

Last year in 2020 replaced my headlight assemblies on both sides with new ones and the beams are not focusing. It’s really aggravating when the beams aren’t focused correctly. The original headlight assemblies were glazed from age and sunlight. So I bought new ones. The installed well and I used all my old bulbs also. The right headlight seems to be to far to the right. No matter how much I use the left right adjuster it doesn’t bring it to the left enough. Looking at just this right headlight only the light is Bright on the far right side of it and as it shines more to the center it gets dimmer or blocked somehow and then further to the left it is a little brighter. The same applies to the left side headlight. Both headlights have bothered me since 2020 with their poor focusing. I bought new headlight bulbs, halogen, and their the same way. Poor brightness from left to right. Poor lighting to say the least, and the brights are awful. I’m picky and this aggravates me to no end. This morning early I took them apart again, both assemblies. There is or was a black insert that goes in each headlight assembly where the headlight bulb goes. I found that it can be removed. It is black, and surround the bulbs, anyway now they have been taken out. I put a black garbage can in front of the lights letting the headlights shine on them. It look like to me the light is brighter all the way across without the black metal insert that surrounds the headlight bulb. Well I went ahead and removed both inserts from the headlights and am waiting till tonite to drive it again to compare their focus. I hope this improves them a lot. If it appears to help then I will try the left /right adjustments and the up and down adjustments again to bring them where I want them. ANYONE out there who has experienced this before after putting new headlight assembly in their car. If so how did you fix yours. This is a 2001 Gran Am,, manythanks