Grand Am This long running model has seen many transformations, and has always remained a popular economical vehicle.

HELP, Misfire!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Default HELP, Misfire!

Hi, I have a 2001 grand am with the 3400 in it. I recently had to replace both intake manifold gaskets. This was a 6 month process and sat in one spot the entire time. Any ways, I got it all back together and I started, it ran ok except one cylinder wasnt fireing. I tried to find out which one but couldnt finsih because it ran out of gas. So today, I got some gas in it and now its worse. It seems that the entire front of the engine is dead and number 5 on the back of the engine as well, I pulled the coils off of those cylinders and it doesnt change the way it runs. It idles eratically and sputters. Funny thing is is that all manifolds get hot as if they are firing. All have spark to the plug, I pulled the plugs to check them, all spark and are in good shape. Now my check engine light flashes every once in a while which means a misfire. Ill reset the code and sometimes the check engine light will remain on, no flashing. Sometimes it wont come on at all. Im lost at this point, any help would be great, thanks.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Default RE: HELP, Misfire!

mhmm wow...i would certainly help if i knew about this....but the truth is the 3400 motors have some problems....i have the 2.4L twin cam edition...works nice....i would recommend u check this problem with a mechanic...wish u best of luck bro

Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Default RE: HELP, Misfire!

WOW u seem like you have distributor issues. get a new one everythign shud b fine

Old 03-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Default misfire on #5

Hello there! Did ya firgure out the mis-fire yet? My '99 3.4 was misfiring and flashing the code for it. Turns out the the head gasket was leaking antifreeze and it was spraying directly at my spark plug, causing the misfire. We drove it that way for a while, occasionally adding antifreeze. Of course, it got worse and began overheating before I fixed it. Hate to say it considering you just had the intakes off, but I believe you prolly have a faulty head gasket. Please keep us informed. God Bless!