Grand Prix This long running model has seen many changes, from a large RWD car, to a smaller RWD car, to a small FWD car, to a large FWD car, and with its available supercharged engines, and powerful V8s, it has never left the limelight as one of the most popular cars in America.

Car Wont turn over all i get is clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Default Car Wont turn over all i get is clicking sound

Hey my names Steve i just purchased a 96 Grand prix SE, one of the bulbs was out in my speeDometer so i went to go change it and in the process of trying to take out the gauge cluster i was unable to disconnect the wireharness from the bottom of it, then when i went to start the car wouldnt turn over, all i get is a clicking sound like the starter wont ignite the engine.... any help would be great to wer ei should start checking ... THANKS!

Old 10-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Default RE: Car Wont turn over all i get is clicking sound

could just be the starter if it is only clicking.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM

I had the same problem in my '04 Durango and it seemed to be the battery...jump started it and it ran but did it quite often and had to replace the battery

Old 03-10-2007, 08:34 PM

That "clicking" is your starter solenoid doing it's job. My suggestion to you would be to check the battery.If the battery is okay checkfor a voltage draw. It's entirely possible that when messing with the instrument lights you mayhave opened a draw. This can be checked by turning off EVERYTHING in your car, disconnecting the negative batterycable, and attachingthe "alligator clip" part of a test lightto it. Then probe the negative terminal of the battery. If you get a light, you have a draw. If this is the case be prepared to spend some money. Also, are you getting any "battery/charging system" lights on your inst. cluster. A bad alternator may actually be draining your battery...this is an outside possibility.
Good luck friend,
-Thomas-