Grand Prix This long running model has seen many changes, from a large RWD car, to a smaller RWD car, to a small FWD car, to a large FWD car, and with its available supercharged engines, and powerful V8s, it has never left the limelight as one of the most popular cars in America.

crankshaft domino effect

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Default crankshaft domino effect

My 1997 grand prix gt had 195,000 mile melt down. The crankshaft postion sensor failed, thus causing rod knocking, pulley bearing, desruction. She finally came to rest before the big snow in Chicago the other day. I'm off to tend to her this a.m. I'm expecting harmonic balancer replacement, bearings, etc., etc. If so, I'll do it myself, even though it has been many years since havinga wrench in my hand. Is this worth the effort? The car, with new tires last week, has had 2K thrown into it over the past 8-9 months. Rotors, struts. thermostat (why do they put that particular part under the manifold?) waterpump, and I'm sure one more escapes me. Ton of new work performed. But, as the cash gets sucked out, one wonders! Still had great pep before latest debacle. Or bite the bullet and put her parts up for sale on e-bay? Also, best site for diagrams of the Grand Prix motor?