New Members Area New to PT? Stop in tell us about you.

1968 Catalina 4-door, where do I belong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Default 1968 Catalina 4-door, where do I belong?

Hello,

As the title says, I have a 1968 Catalina that I just traded for my 1978 Yamaha XS750 Special. It's mostly original, but the interior is pretty tattered and it has a good deal of rust, the worst being the passenger floorboard. I partly bought it as a first go at bodywork because I never worried about it too much before, just the go fast bits. Came with an Edelbrock intake (a Performer series, I think) and an Edelbrock carb (which will be quickly replaced with a Holley); all sitting on top of a rebuilt 400. I am going to add some go fast to it, but I don't plan on going super aggressive, for now probably a Holley double pumper, headers, and exhaust.

It does come with original intake and carb, but both need some serious refurbishing. I will work on refurbishing those over time.

Car has a few issues. The owner before the one I bought it from did an insane bang up job of wiring it (used speaker wire for everything), so the guy I'm getting it from (a retired mechanic), went through and completely rewired it in a way that isn't completely insane. The sending unit is out, so the gas gauge doesn't work, that will have to be addressed sooner rather than later. I'm sure a few more minor things that I'm either forgetting or haven't cropped up yet, but overall it runs, drives, and stops, which is a better start than some of my past projects.

I'll post pictures when I get it to my house, he lives a bit north of me, so I'll have to get a ride up there to grab it and bring it home, but that should be in the next couple days.

It's been a long time since I've done anything with V8's, or carbed engines. I went from offroading, to muscle cars, to tuners, to classic Japanese cars (currently drive a 78 280z that is hands down my favorite car, but I'm just the mechanic and I have to give it back soon) thought a change of pace might be interesting. The trade was also better than any of the cash offers on my bike, which helped.