New Members Area New to PT? Stop in tell us about you.

bernie from louisville, ky

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Full Access Member
Default bernie from louisville, ky

hello. my name is bernie from louisville, ky. I have a 72 GTO, and a 71 Lemans. I have been doing body and paint work for 20 years, and restoring old Pontiacs for about ten years. Ilove talking about these old cars, and new ones also. drop me a line maybe i can answer a question.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Full Access Member
Default RE: bernie from louisville, ky

no, i never keep a car that long, after 36000 miles it goes. ok, heres the story on why i do this... back in 2000 i bought a brand new chevy malibu. with the v6 engine. i got the service plan withit oil changes etc. plus i worked at a chevy dealership here in louisville. so getting it serviced was easy.i also got GM extended warranty that covered me up to 88000 miles. at 38000 miles a started to get a knock in the engine. i was told that it was piston slap. now keep in mind that i have a notebook full of recepts that showed i had never missed an oil change or service at any time. several dealerships here in louisville said we can tear it down and see what the problem is, BUT if we find any sludge, carbon or anything of that nature we will not warranty the motor and you will be responsible for putting it back together(about 3000 dollars)now to me thats just an excuse to not warranty something because a motor with that many miles will have a little bit of something in the oil pan. after fighting with them for a monthi traded the car i also had a blower resister go out on the same car, and they had an excuse not to fix it. so boys and girls these extended warantees are crap and i cant reccomend them. i was told and saw this with my own eyes that we had a car come in the dealership that sent a rod through the side of the block, the GM rep accually switched the oil filter with one that he had that was a sludge muffin. and said hmmm heres why the engine failed we are not even going to tear this one down. sad but true