Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

OnStar -- The nail in GM's coffin

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Default OnStar -- The nail in GM's coffin

I am curious if anyone else thinks GMs insistence on pushing OnStar is, at least, partly responsible for their dismal sales performance. I know I do and I think it will lead (is leading) to their downfall. By pushing OnStar so hard, and not giving people what they want, GM is digging their own grave.

I have always been a Pontiac fan! However, I just purchased a Dodge Charger, I really wanted the GTO but...

The GTO does not come with a navigation system (like most non high end , non SUV GMs). Why? Because GM wanted to keep the GTO a pure performance car, perhaps, but I think it is because a navigation system (in GMs view) competes with OnStar, so GM is reluctant to offer navigation because they want you to renew your OnStar contract.

I also wanted a built-in hands-free Bluetooth phone connection (so I can use my Bluetooth phone in my car through the radio). But, except for a few Cadillacs, GM does not offer Bluetooth. Why, because it competes with OnStar is the only reason I can think of, and they want you to renew your OnStar subscription. Bluetooth is better, it uses your own cell phone, so you only have one cell phone number, and you only have one cell phone bill.

If people had a Bluetooth phone, and a navigation system in their car, the only reason they would need OnStar is for emergencies and the LoJack like feature, i.e., people would probably not renew their expensive OnStar contract just for those features; so GM doesn’t offer the features we really want, opting instead to attempt to sell us OnStar.

Pontiac could have saved the Bonneville if they positioned it (using some of the newer high tech features) to compete well against Infinity and Lexus -- but as a cheaper alternative to those $50k cars. But, instead, they offered OnStar and people turned to Japan, or in my case, Dodge.

GM is blowing it, and I think OnStar is the reason. What do you think?

Mike

Old 02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Default RE: OnStar -- The nail in GM's coffin

I have just learned that Pontiac may introduce a new 4 dorr GTO based on the Holden Commodore.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..3.*

(In my opinion, Holden is the international arm of GM that shares the most with their US cousins)

Downunder, where GM does not offer OnStar, the Commodore is sold with a, through the radio Bluetooth phone hookup and a Navigation system. I am sure that the GM marketers will determine that, here in the US, those features may cut into their OnStar profits, so they will not be offered in the new GTO. Unfortunately for GM, many of these folks that want a high performance car, also want modern features, and they will continue to look to Japan to provide them.

If GM fails to offer these features in the new GTO, it will fail just like the last GTO.

BTW.. I heard a GM ad on the radio the other day, pushing OnStar. Since it can't compete with bluetooth and navigation features of other cars, they were pushing the "locked my keys in the car" feature. The problem is, since most cars today are sold with the key fob, very few people lock their keys in the car anymore. (oops, if GM figures that out, they may stop selling key fobs) The only features of OnStar that are still of any value are the airbag notification and LoJack features. But GM knows people will not pay the big bucks for (just) those features -- so they continue to deprive their customers of bluetooth and navigation. That's okay, I'll continue to deprive GM of my $$ when looking for a new car. But I hate to think of all of those GM workes, out of work, because GM management doesn't have a clue.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Full Access Member
Default RE: OnStar -- The nail in GM's coffin

i dont know if its a direct link to falling car sales. Since many other car companies are suffering similar fates. I just know that i will never ever buy it on one of my cars.