Sunfire 1995-2005 This sport compact offered sporty lines and an efficient engine, allowing the driver the feel of the a sports car without the huge fuel bill.

99 sunfire knocking noises in the frontend

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Default 99 sunfire knocking noises in the frontend

2 days ago i bought a 99 sunfire for 80 bucks, runs good but is having some problems with the front
the lady i bought it from said the dealership told her the 5 spd man transmission was out, but i doubt it, considering how she discribed the problem

when i asked her if i could put it in gear and go she said

"yes, the car will still run and drive but when making sharp right hand turns it makes a knocking noise and the steering gets stiff, youll have to put the transmission back together or whatever the dealership did to it, but when we parked it it still drove fine but that knock sound and steering"

any idea's?
im going to replace theoutter tierod end's, i noticed one of them was worn out, and i could pull on it and it would make a popping sound but im not sure if its the same sound she discribed
and both transaxles are new so ive eleminated that prob, but she said when she had the passengers side replaced it didnt make the sound as bad.....but still did it

id apriciate any help or idea's, this is my first ff car (front engine front wheel drive)

thanks,
Rust