Sunfire 1995-2005 This sport compact offered sporty lines and an efficient engine, allowing the driver the feel of the a sports car without the huge fuel bill.

Alternator Upgrade and Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Default Alternator Upgrade and Mileage Question

I want to upgrade my alternator to a higher amperage from the stock 105
I dont have a large amp for my speakers but I sometimes run my laptop in the car if I need to access the internet and I just feel its a good idea to have a stronger amp? Any suggestions.

I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2 door.

My other question is....

Whats some ideas to get even better gas mileage....I have never done anything to my car except for changing the stock rims to 17" aluminum rims and I have a drop in K and N filter

When I had my other car I did alot of playing around with slight upgrades and I did notice a improvement when I added a smaller flywheel pulley.

I dont really use this far for racing around and I want to just get better MPG i get about 25 to 27 mpg

but Im not familiar with these types of cars.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Full Access Member
Default RE: Alternator Upgrade and Mileage Question

Basically, your on the right track with better gas milage. But for the alternator, I'm not sure about that...I'll ask around here and get back to you on that. As for getting better gas mileage. Keep up with changing the oil, regular maintenance, every month dump in a bottle of fuel system cleaner, it will keep your fuel pump and the rest of your fuel system clean and as free flowing as possible. Another thing is get a freer flowing muffler. I have a drop in K&N drop in filter as well. I have a Flowmaster 60 Series Delta Flow muffler, its not loud unlike the rest of the aftermarket cans you hear everyday. It not only gives you a bit more power and torque it gives a slight boost in gas mileage with the new FM I gained about 2-3 miles a gallon. Just whatever you do don't get those loud rattle cans/fart cans(or whatever you call them), you lose torque with those and they are really really loud; you may gain some MPG but with the less torque you'll want your foot in it more to accelerate. Hope this helps. If you haven anymore questions ask away.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 PM

Thanks for reply.....I too have a drop in filter and im thinking about getting that muffler job done because im due for a replacement anyway and I sure wouldn't get a loud one....its annoying to here anyone with annoyingly loud exhaust

Old 12-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Full Access Member

A Flowmaster 60 Series Delta Flow muffler is the way to go then. They help with power but aren't annoyingly loud. It gives your car a deep tone. But not loud unless you rail on it.