Car Died While Driving (Solution)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:06 AM
Full Access Member
Default Car Died While Driving (Solution)

Hello everyone. This is a problem that I had over the weekend which has been solved, and I thought I would post it to the board in case it happens to anyone else.

While driving on the highway doing 90 km/hr, my Grand Am just died without any warning. The lights in the dash began to fade, there was no power steering, and the gages were all going ballistic. Finally the gages all dropped, speedometre was registering over 160 km/hr, but the car was actually slowing down and there was no response to the gas pedal.

I pulled over and everything was completely dead, except the headlights were working. Boost was unsuccessful. I had the car towed 100 km to my father's.

We checked out every possible thing that could be wrong, and just when I said we would have to take the car in for a computer scan to see what happened, my Dad looked under the front of the car and saw a wire dangling that looked burnt.

Turns out it was a fusable link that had somehow shorted out and burnt up. This was preventing any juice from going to the battery and hense cut off everything including the computer, ignition, dashlights, and flashers even. My father bypassed the fuse, spliced on a new wire, and the car fired right up.

I have never heard of this happening before , but thought I would post it. Possibly if anyone elses car dies on the road while driving and loses complete power of everything this is something they might want to check out. Why GM would choose to put a fuseable link so far from site of the battery is beyond me. Had it of been near the battery we would have noticed it right away before having to tow it, as the battery connections were the first things I checked.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:13 AM
Full Access Member
Default RE: Car Died While Driving (Solution)

thats pretty crazy. I have never heard of anything like that happening.