Rear Wheel Drive 1957-1986 This section is for info pertaining to all rear wheel drive model Bonnevilles

1969 Bonneville Idle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 05:50 PM
Default 1969 Bonneville Idle Issue

Hello Everyone! This is my first post.

I have a 1969 Pontiac Bonneville that my father bought new. It has 42,000 original miles and ran fine until recently.

My wife and I went to pick up something to eat and all of a sudden the car started sputtering and stalling. I was able to barely get her home despite not getting over 20 miles per hour.

I did the usual checking of vacuums and PCV valve connections, then changing the fuel filter and didn't really find anything, however it looked like the accelerator pump was leaking slightly.

This Quadrajet remanufactured carburetor was put on about 30 years ago so changing them is really not that difficult. I decided to upgrade to a Holley however despite completing a surprisingly difficult installation the same symptoms exist. I did trim the cracked areas of some slightly worn hoses and replace the PCV grommet which was starting to crumble, but other than sustaining idle a little bit longer without dying the roughness still exists and I highly doubt it would stay running if I put the car in gear.

I thought maybe the gasoline was bad so I bypassed the tank and have been running fresh fuel out of a jar but there's no difference in how the car runs.

When the car runs, if I try to give it acceleration it just chokes.

I sprayed carb and starting fluid around the various areas to see if I could pick up a vacuum leak and it did seem a couple times like it made a slight difference and I was able to rev the engine slightly however I still cannot get it to maintain a steady idle to finish the settings on this carburetor.

I live in the Chicago area and most of the carb shops I used to know were no longer opened.

Anybody have any ideas or know anybody around these parts that might have some possible solutions?